Thursday, April 5, 2007

Things looking up

Even though winter has returned - 26 degrees overnight, with a dusting of snow plus short snow squalls today - I am starting to feel better about being here. last night, at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) I attended a lecture entitled "Life is a Gnarly Computation". Who wouldn't attend with a title like that? How cool! The speaker was Rudy Rucker, a math professor and cyberpunk author, currently teaching at San Jose State! Doh! never saw him in the Bay area. The talk was great, and I am still puzzling over the concept of deterministic yet unpredictable computations. More at Rudys blog.

I have also met a couple of chums to go out with, have been to some local clubs both with them and by myself. The trick of getting to know the bouncers/doormen is time-tested, still working. It makes me comfortable in a club if I know someone knows me and I can go chat with them if I want. Plus, it turns out that a 'hello' from one, passed on to another can get the passer of the greeting into a club for free!

As winter is back, and I've been motivated by the liklihood of my brother's in-laws coming over to see the place after easter brunch, I have been working on the house again. I'm currently in between coats of ceiling paint in the second floor bathroom.

Here are a few before pics of the house:

Kitchen into Dining Room Before



Dining Room Before


Dining Room Before



Dining room into Kitchen





Don't have a saw? Use a drill!!



The view from my "office". Only the carpet has changed. I'm ignoring the American Football theme for now.

3 comments:

PJ said...

PleasepleasePLEASE tell me you will be removing the wallpaper in the dining room and kitchen! Having seen the exquisite taste you displayed in your California house, I know you will as time and resources permit. Whew!

And congrats, once again, on your bravery and willingness to explore beyond your comfort zones. You rock!

Deep love,
pj

Carole said...

Oh yes, the wallpaper is already gone. That was one of the first things to go. Fortunately, it was easy enough to peel, wet and scrape off. I promise some after pics soon.

I18n G.A.L. said...

Have you seen my wallpaper? Have a look at

my blog
with wallpaper photos.
I sympathize, but we've not been that industrious I'm afraid...