Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NASCAR!!!!


Here’s me at a NASCAR race, in the pit at Spencer Speedway. And I liked it! The sound the modified stock cars make as they fire up, as they are all in a pack taking a flight around the corner, rumbles through every cell in my body - in a good way. Beth’s husband has been doing racing forever. He is the crew chief for a car, goes to the races to set up the car and work with it on the weekends. He was helping out a crew at Spencer, not “his” car & driver. I took some picks of the cars and the light had fade before I realized I hadn’t taken a picture of me, so Beth obliged with her camera phone.





The car, Chuck's #4

The car that Bob crews for is closing in on the final 3 races for the season, and currently is in first place in points. Beth & I are planning to go to Connecticut to see the last race in October.

A couple weeks ago, I went over to Beth’s on a Friday night with a movie. 30 minutes in, her phone rang. “Yes. OK. OK. Sure.” She turned to me and said, “We have an active fire. I have to go!” Hilton Ladies Fire Auxiliary supports the firefighters with beverages at the scene, and food afterwards as desired. So we headed out to the fire hall, where the other ladies of the Auxiliary were gathering. There was some milling around, and Beth and I headed to the store to get bottles of water and headed out to the fire. We carried the water in past the trucks and hoses and the paramedics to the scene.

As we headed back to the fire hall, I told Beth that she has been the architect of several of my firsts this year. She said “whaat?’ I replied: “Working at the Carnival, Golfing, NASCAR, working a fire, watching a Drum Corps competition, eating a 'garbage plate' …” She said “I never thought my life was so interesting!” Maybe I can make a business out of this – I’ll jump into someone’s life and show them how interesting it really is. Hmmmm….

No comments: