Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lesson learned

Do NOT lock your car keys inside the trunk of a new car!

I was leaving work yesterday. Was all set to go when I saw I had left a bag in the office, so I grabbed 2 sets of keys - my car keys with the building key on it; and the rental car keys. (I had my backpack & purse already in the trunk, as I was going to go to an outdoor concert next.) Ran back inside, grabbed the bag I'd forgotten, back out where I opened the car trunk, tossed in the bag, dropped the car keys in my purse, shut the trunk and oh my god - it was the rental car keys I'd tossed. in. I had my New York set in my hand.

I'm now locked out of the office, with my phone & computer in the trunk. Thankfully I had my wallet, and a co-worker was still inside. He let me back in where I first called Hertz, then AAA. An hour later, I flagged down the AAA truck as it was passing by, turns out somehow they had gotten past me on their first swing through - and since I didn't have my cell phone, it being locked in the trunk & all, they couldn't reach me. So he opened the door with a wire through the crack in the window, setting off the alarm. And, of course, disabling the electronic trunk release. Perfectly logical from an anti-theft point. So, he called a locksmith out. After he finally arrived, it took him a couple hours to get the trunk open. By then I was cold, tired, and emotionally on the edge. I was observing myself trying to go to the "oh poor pitiful me, no one to call, no one to care, I'm all alooooone" place. I would then think how wonderful it was that AAA and the locksmith were available to be called upon. And both people were great, and helpful.

So Saturday in CA started out great - worked out, did work on the computer in the hotel room, then got a pedicure, lunch, got great work done at the office. But instead of seeing the Robert Cray band perform, I hung out in a parking lot as the sun went down, watching guys working on the lock. I finished the evening with some badly needed bathrobe therapy at the hotel.

No comments: