Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Yurt!

My recent trip to the Left Coast was beautifully bookended - the exhilarating, inspiring, healing Quantum Leap in Vegas to start with, and a trip to the incomparable Big Sur Coast to finish. I am so fortunate to have been able to stay a couple days with Pat and Jamie in their yurt. This is, of course, the famous Feng Shiu’ed yurt.

Jamie is the ginger one!








The Yurt is about 550 square feet. Well, being a Yurt, it's of course not square. There are 12 segments that radiate from the central skylight. Pat is grooving on the small, efficient space. She quoted a friend who said that "If you have to unplug the vacuum and move the cord, your house is too big!" (My little houseen meets the criteria on each floor. Course, it does have an extra long cord. But it's nowhere near as compact as the Yurt.) The Yurt feels very spacious, and of course there's such wild beauty just outside. Pat does have a bathtub on her deck. She's not one to cavort in the famous Baths on the other side of the property, which are clothing optional but no one does. Go in clothed, that is.


I arrived at Esalen on a cool, foggy day. The area is beautiful no matter what the weather.






Molly’s Celica was perfectly messaged to fit right in.




The baths are perched right over the sea. The natural hot spring water smells slightly eggy. Sitting in the baths watching and listening to the Pacific is something I plan to do rather a lot the rest of my life. It’s heaven.






Me at the Buddha shrine.




And I find Quan Yin wherever I go.




Sadly, THIS is my current view. Brrrr!

1 comment:

PJ said...

I'm so glad to have my little space featured in your blog! I miss you. Hurry back!

Pat from Yurtville